Social Studies - Grade 5
I. Exploration and Colonization of North America
A. Desire for Greater Opportunity
1. Diary: Two Months at Sea
2. Role-play: Will It Pay Off?
3. Essay: Lessons Learned in Jamestown
4. Chart: Why Settle in the New World?
B. Different Groups and Individuals
1. Essay: Voyage to the New World
2. 3-D Map: New England Village
3. Poem: Puritan Life
4. Role-play: Quaker Worship
5. Essay: Go West?
6. Chart: Explorers
7. Display: French or Spanish?
8. Speech: Let's Go to America!
C. Culture Exchange
1. Play: Beothuk and Vikings Together
2. Map: Piece of Art
3. Report: Native American Society
4. Story: Mystery of Roanoke Island
5. Play: Pocahontas and John Rolf
6. Cartoon: What's Their Opinion?
7. Mural: A Helping Hand
Return to main Social Studies